Coolstores and Industrial
Through over 27 years of design experience, our portfolio of work in these categories has become very long. M.J. MURPHY LTD is widely regarded in New Zealand as one of New Zealand’s foremost experts in the design of steel-polystyrene sandwich panel buildings, large freezers and chillers. We have load-tested over 60 insulation panels (50mm – 250mm thick) and compiled the original load-span data, design manuals and typical panel joint details for NZ’s largest sandwich panel manufacturer, Bondor NZ Ltd (originally called Rudnev NZ Ltd).
Because of the very specialised nature of this work, we are usually engaged to prepare a full package design including concepts, architectural and engineering design. Many projects are extensions to existing factories, often with repeat clients coming back for 2nd, 3rd or 4th extensions.
Here are a sample of recent coolstore and food processing projects designed by M.J. MURPHY LTD
FREEZER/CHILLER EXTENSIONS - LEADER PRODUCTS LTD
Major factory extension for Leader Products Ltd, South Auckland, approx. $2.6 million, originally designed in 2009. Included large freezer and dry store for 5 high pallet racks, food processing rooms, offices, change rooms, large truck canopy, laboratory, plant rooms and external site works. Considerable use made of precast concrete wall panels and Dycore pre-stressed slabs for first floor. Existing factory had to keep operating. Bonder XFlam panels used for fire rated walls.
MAJOR FACTORY EXTENSION FOR WHOLESALE FROZEN FOODS LTD, SOUTH AUCKLAND
The project was approx. $1.5 million – a large freezer for 5 high pallet racks, load out chiller, truck dock & canopy, plant room and external siteworks. A challenging project, with innovative new ideas to overcome some difficult fire rating issues. Existing factory had to keep operating. Polyphen panels used for some fire rated walls.
CHILLER EXTENSIONS FOR LIVING FOODS LTD
New factory extension for Living Foods Ltd, South Auckland – approx. $0.8 million – new process room and corridor chiller which was built from 225mm EPS roof panels & 100mm wall panels (plan dimensions approx. 34m x 8 m). Some very challenging details to resolve to achieve the vapour barrier, good weathering, thermal insulation, structural strength and fire ratings. 200 thick Polyphen panels used for fire rated walls. The existing factory had to keep operating.
NEW FREEZER FOR ECLY LTD – AUCKLAND
We were engaged to design and detail a very complex tall freezer built inside an existing factory in Onehunga (approx. cost $1.5 million). Freezer dimensions were approx. 19mx12mx11.2m high (sloping ceiling), for 6-high pallet racking (200mm EPS insulation panels were used). The design also included an adjacent chiller to fit in a very tight space. The freezer gave us many design challenges as nothing was ‘standard’ as it wasn’t allowed for in the original building design. Hence we had to modify the subfloor ventilation pipes to avoid footings and return through precast concrete walls to a very difficult plant room. The main portal frame structure had to be modified to reduce deflections which would have otherwise damaged the EPS insulation panels.
NEW CHILLER FOR CERES ENTERPRISES LTD – AUCKLAND
We were engaged to do the design and detail of a large tall chiller, built inside an existing factory in Penrose (approx. cost $1.0 million). Approx dimensions were 21m x 11.5m x 11.6m high (sloping ceiling) for 6 high pallet racking. Because of the high predicted movement of the existing portal framed building, the entire chiller had to be designed as a freestanding structure, using independent steelwork, supporting the APS insulation panels – 150mm Bonder XFlam fire-rated panels were used for both the walls and ceiling.
NEW CHILLER FOR LIVING FOODS LTD - AUCKLAND
New chiller building a load out canopy approx. 34m x 15m (cost approx. $1.5 million). Very tidy and efficient, stand alone building with large chiller room (humid environment for fresh green food), load out canopy with special loading deck platform and refrigeration plant room. Fastrax rapid roller door installed. Chiller built with colorsteel shade roof over for added protection and running of services.
NEW FREEZER EXTENSIONS FOR BOMBAY PETFOODS LTD – BOMBAY
New factory extensions in South Auckland (approx. $1.5 million). Project included large new freezer for two – high pallet racks, chiller and processing rooms, load out area, plant room and site works. Very neat, tidy solution but with some challenging details where joined to existing building. The design allows for a mirror image freezer extension to be built in the future. Existing factory had to keep operating during construction.
PRODUCTION LINE FACTORY EXTENSIONS FOR VITACO HEALTH NZ LTD
Major factory additions/alterations for VITACO HEALTH NZ LTD at East Tamaki, South Auckland. M.J.Murphy Ltd was engaged to design and supervise construction for a nom 60m x 12m internal series of food production rooms using Metalcraft insulated EPS panels for walls and ceiling. This was to house a major new production line for a new range of health food products, plus new kitchen, wash room, offices and toilets etc. and with special design over the ceiling. The project was very complex, with many design parties involved, requiring efficient project management by Vitaco staff. Because of the complexity of all the services and ventilation equipment (to be located on the ceiling) a special 50m long steel framed platform was designed by us to support this equipment, and also the ceiling panels all supported off the existing portal framed building, whilst still allowing the portal frames to flex and sway independently under wind and earthquake loads. A very challenging but satisfying job.
FACTORY REBUILD FOR BEST FOOD FRESH TOFU LTD
Major factory refurbishment for Best Food Fresh Tofu Ltd, Papakura, South Auckland (approx. $3.0 million). Sadly this factory was almost completely destroyed by fire. M.J.Murphy Ltd was engaged by the insurance company to provide specialist coolstore and food processing design services and site supervision for a complete re-design and detailing of the factory.
The project included various freezers, chillers, dry store, processing rooms, offices and truck docks. This was a very complex project trying to comply with both the financial restrictions of the insurance company and the wishes of the owners. The original building layout was very old, inefficient and out of date, so great care had to be taken to provide the owners with a new modern facility, whilst still complying with insurance company limits on cost. There was also major fire damage to all the tofu-making plant and equipment and refrigeration plant, necessitating near total replacement (clients had some ‘interesting’ discussions with the insurance company.)
Some innovative new ideas also had to be developed to solve all the tricky problems encountered such as replacing the old burnt out heating cables under the freezer floors with more failsafe subfloor ventilation to prevent frost heave. Floor drains were also a small nightmare to resolve. Everything was ‘non-standard.’
The intense fire illustrated the ease with which it melted and twisted structural steel beams and columns and insulated panels. But luckily the blockwork boundary firewalls withstood the fire and were able to be reused. Building structural redesign was ably done by Radley Consultants Ltd.
Overall, many innovative compromises were made to achieve a very good engineering solution to the great satisfaction of the owners who were a pleasure to work with in spite of them being under great stress.
A range of coolstones, large & small were completed in this period, mainly for repeat clients such as Living Foods, Leader Products, Bombay Petfoods, Franklin Foods, La Bonne Cuisine, Snow Planet, Rainbows End, Southern Paprike, Pendarves, Pokeno Bacon etc. Also in this period much time was spent on aquarium projects, swimming pool windows and concept proposals.
- New bacon factory and office complex for Pokeno Bacon Ltd, South Auckland.
- Factory extensions for major petfood company Bombay Petfoods Ltd, South Auckland.
- Large freezer extensions for Franklin Foods Ltd, Pukekohe, South Auckland.
- New dry store and chiller extensions for major plantfood company Living Foods Ltd, Mangere, Auckland. One of 4 major extensions for this client over 5 years.
- New major live lobster facility (9 concrete tanks, underground filters and insulated rooms) for largest fisheries company in NZ, Moana Pacific Fisheries Ltd, Napier.
- Large chiller extensions, food processing rooms, truck canopy and siteworks for Living Foods Ltd, Mangere, Auckland.
- Major freezer & chiller extensions for Scott Seafoods Ltd, Henderson, Auckland.
- 4 large freezers, processing & packaging facilities & 2 storey office block for Takanini Coolstores Ltd, South Auckland. Founded on 8m depth of soft peat, so over 300 large timber piles had to be used.
- Extensive internal additions and alterations to food processing factory, chillers & freezers, for NZ Delicatessen Ltd, East Tamaki, Auckland.
- Extensive internal additions and alterations to food processing factory, chillers & freezers, for Food Partners Ltd, Otahuhu, Auckland.
- Insulation panel wall & ceiling design for huge new coolstore and food processing factory for BWH Holdings Ltd, Otahuhu, Auckland, (subcontracted by Bondor NZ Ltd, NZ’s largest panel manufacturer). See www.bondor.co.nz.
- Insulation panel wall & ceiling design for major additions & alterations to factory for Nestle NZ Ltd, Wiri, Auckland, (subcontracted by Bondor NZ Ltd, NZ’s largest panel manufacturer).
- Design consultant for repairs to large truck canopy badly damaged by truck collision, for Nestle NZ Ltd, Waiuku, South Auckland.
- Design of 4 huge steel hot water storage tanks for 4 different clients in Auckland area, from 650m3 – 1200m3 (up to 13m diam. x 9.6m high). Used as heating for major glasshouses in winter. Water heated by boiler. Tanks insulated on outside (2001-04).
- Major extensions to growing rooms, processing & packing rooms and chillers for Living Foods Ltd, Mangere, Auckland.
- Extensions to milk factory loading dock for NZ Dairy Foods Ltd, South Auckland.
- Specialist consultant for large coolstore in American Samoa, for Protocold Ltd (Auckland).
- Major extensions for food processing factory and new chiller for Living Foods Ltd, Auckland.
- Large freezers, dry store and load out complex for Wholesale Frozen Foods Ltd, Takanini, South Auckland.
2001 and earlier
- Very large factory extension (65m x 20m) to cheese factory for Puhoi Valley Cheese Co Ltd, North Auckland. Included multiple processing & packaging rooms, chillers, load-out and amenities block. One of 4 major extensions for this client over 5 years. (2001-02)
- New Kiwifruit coolstore (25m x 20m) for Verikiwi Pack Ltd, South Auckland.
- Insulation panel wall & ceiling design for major factory additions and alterations for DB Breweries Ltd, Otahuhu, Auckland. (subcontracted to Bondor NZ Ltd, NZ’s largest panel manufacturer).
- Insulation panel wall & ceiling design for major new winery complex for Craggy Range Winery, Hastings, NZ. (subcontracted to Bondor NZ Ltd).
- Many other similar projects.
WHOLESALE FROZEN FOODS
BEST FOODS (AFTER THE FIRE)
HOTWATER TANK - MANGERE
PUHOI VALLEY CHEESE
PUHOI VALLEY CHEESE