Coolstores and Industrial
Through over 27 years of design experience, our portfolio of work in these categories has become very long. M.J. MURPHY LTD is widely regarded in New Zealand as one of New Zealand’s foremost experts in the design of steel-polystyrene sandwich panel buildings, large freezers and chillers. We have load-tested over 60 insulation panels (50mm – 250mm thick) and compiled the original load-span data, design manuals and typical panel joint details for NZ’s largest sandwich panel manufacturer, Bondor NZ Ltd (originally called Rudnev NZ Ltd).
Because of the very specialised nature of this work, we are usually engaged to prepare a full package design including concepts, architectural and engineering design. Many projects are extensions to existing factories, often with repeat clients coming back for 2nd, 3rd or 4th extensions.
Here are a sample of recent coolstore and food processing projects designed by M.J. MURPHY LTD
- New bacon factory and office complex for Pokeno Bacon Ltd, South Auckland.
- Factory extensions for major petfood company Bombay Petfoods Ltd, South Auckland.
- Large freezer extensions for Franklin Foods Ltd, Pukekohe, South Auckland.
- New dry store and chiller extensions for major plantfood company Living Foods Ltd, Mangere, Auckland. One of 4 major extensions for this client over 5 years.
- New major live lobster facility (9 concrete tanks, underground filters and insulated rooms) for largest fisheries company in NZ, Moana Pacific Fisheries Ltd, Napier.
- Large chiller extensions, food processing rooms, truck canopy and siteworks for Living Foods Ltd, Mangere, Auckland.
- Major freezer & chiller extensions for Scott Seafoods Ltd, Henderson, Auckland.
- 4 large freezers, processing & packaging facilities & 2 storey office block for Takanini Coolstores Ltd, South Auckland. Founded on 8m depth of soft peat, so over 300 large timber piles had to be used.
- Extensive internal additions and alterations to food processing factory, chillers & freezers, for NZ Delicatessen Ltd, East Tamaki, Auckland.
- Extensive internal additions and alterations to food processing factory, chillers & freezers, for Food Partners Ltd, Otahuhu, Auckland.
- Insulation panel wall & ceiling design for huge new coolstore and food processing factory for BWH Holdings Ltd, Otahuhu, Auckland, (subcontracted by Bondor NZ Ltd, NZ’s largest panel manufacturer). See www.bondor.co.nz.
- Insulation panel wall & ceiling design for major additions & alterations to factory for Nestle NZ Ltd, Wiri, Auckland, (subcontracted by Bondor NZ Ltd, NZ’s largest panel manufacturer).
- Design consultant for repairs to large truck canopy badly damaged by truck collision, for Nestle NZ Ltd, Waiuku, South Auckland.
- Design of 4 huge steel hot water storage tanks for 4 different clients in Auckland area, from 650m3 – 1200m3 (up to 13m diam. x 9.6m high). Used as heating for major glasshouses in winter. Water heated by boiler. Tanks insulated on outside (2001-04).
- Major extensions to growing rooms, processing & packing rooms and chillers for Living Foods Ltd, Mangere, Auckland.
- Extensions to milk factory loading dock for NZ Dairy Foods Ltd, South Auckland.
- Specialist consultant for large coolstore in American Samoa, for Protocold Ltd (Auckland).
- Major extensions for food processing factory and new chiller for Living Foods Ltd, Auckland.
- Large freezers, dry store and load out complex for Wholesale Frozen Foods Ltd, Takanini, South Auckland.
2001 and earlier
- Very large factory extension (65m x 20m) to cheese factory for Puhoi Valley Cheese Co Ltd, North Auckland. Included multiple processing & packaging rooms, chillers, load-out and amenities block. One of 4 major extensions for this client over 5 years. (2001-02)
- New Kiwifruit coolstore (25m x 20m) for Verikiwi Pack Ltd, South Auckland.
- Insulation panel wall & ceiling design for major factory additions and alterations for DB Breweries Ltd, Otahuhu, Auckland. (subcontracted to Bondor NZ Ltd, NZ’s largest panel manufacturer).
- Insulation panel wall & ceiling design for major new winery complex for Craggy Range Winery, Hastings, NZ. (subcontracted to Bondor NZ Ltd).
- Many other similar projects.